November 25, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #46 (November 11 to 17)
Food: - Oden at Tapir, Shin-Ōkubo
- Roasted pork and apple pie at Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port, Shibuya
Music event: I went to café event "Swing Avenue autumn 2017" at Weekend Garage Tokyo, which featured shows by Yume to Cosme and Milli Milli Bar!
It had been too long since I last saw Yume to Cosme. They gave a great show of new and old songs, and even two "self-covers" of songs that Hase Yasuhiro wrote for Negicco ("Canal no madobe") and Wakita Monari ("inori no kotoba")! Hase and singer Yumi were accompanied by violinist Tanaka Yūichi.
Yume to Cosme set list: Yume to Cosme / Kiss toka kirai toka / Baroque & Rouge / inori no kotoba (Wakita Monari cover) / Canal no madobe (Negicco cover) / zettai Love Motion / New York walk on fame
There was also a lot of expectations and curiousness about the other band, Milli Milli Bar, a new band led by pianist and songwriter Yafune Tetsurō (who has written songs for Hoshino Michiru), and featuring singer Mia Nascimento (ex-Especia)! They played a total of about 8-9 songs, several originals that Yafune wrote especially for this band (including "My Sweet Seventeen" that he wrote for Mia), a few covers of his solo songs ("nete mo samete mo", "aenai toki wa itsu datte") and, being that Mia is Brazilian, a cover of bossa nova song "Sandalia Dela" (with new lyrics translated to Japanese). They have a very cool sound and great songs, and this show proved that Mia has a very nice voice and stage presence, which can be many times better enjoyed in this band than when she was in a group of three. Can't wait for more! Meanwhile some videos have been posted on YouTube (see below).
Milli Milli Bar set list: Miyuki dōri / nete mo samete mo / unmeiron / Sandalia Dela / Dance in the moonlight / aenai toki wa itsu datte / My Sweet Seventeen / asobi hanbun / Surprise You
Music release news: Studio 75, Francis avec Haruko
This week's videos:
Milli Milli Bar "asobi hanbun" live
Milli Milli Bar "Sandalia Dela (Japanese version)" live
Yume to Cosme "Baroque & Rouge"
November 23, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 weeks #44-45 (October 28 to November 10)
Earlier this month was a little trip to Québec, Canada!
Food: - Lanaudière delicacies: cheese from Fromagerie Domaine Féodal, wine from Vignoble Lano d'Or, and many goodies from Abbaye Val-Notre Dame
- Delicious and impressive dinner course at Le Mousso, Montréal
- Evening at Le Vin Papillon, Montréal
- Poutine and more great local food!
- Exhibition of works by Taiwan artists (Zishi Art, Mister Ogay, ...) at Artgang St-Laurent, Montréal.
- More art in the streets
This week's videos: Félix Dyotte "Je cours (feat. Evelyne Brochu)"
Félix Dyotte "Station balnéaire"
October 28, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #43 (October 21 to 27)
Food: - Beef curry and fig chou à la crème @ Tapir
Music event: On October 21, I went to "Shibuya no Radio no Shibuya-kei Festival", featuring Nomiya Maki, Kaji Hideki, Vanilla Beans, Takano Hiroshi, and DJs Konishi Yasuharu and Halfby! That was an amazing show! I wrote about it in detail at Tokyo's Coolest Sound.
October 22, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #42 (October 14 to 20)
Food: - Chocolate & mint chocolate ice cream at Tomihisa Ice Cream, Shinjuku
Music events: - On October 15 was the release party of SOLEIL's first single "Pinky Fluffy"! SOLEIL is a band fronted by singer Soleil, bassist/producer Sally Kubota (of Sally Soul Stew, les 5-4-3-2-1) and guitarist Nakamori Yasuhiro (Hicksville). This time they were accompanied by drummer Shirane Kenichi (Great3) and chorist Lemon!
It was the first show in which they performed songs other than the single's, there were some brand new originals and covers, and even some instrumentals too in which the singer showed her skills at playing glockenspiel and drums! This show gave a much wider view of SOLEIL's sound, and a lot to look forward to in upcoming releases. I definitely can't wait to hear those songs again! I got SOLEIL's photo book, with autographs by all three members! :) Many photos of the show can be seen at Natalie.
Set list: SOLEIL no Theme / Pinky Fluffy / koi no Happy Date / koi no Happy Date (The Nolans cover) / Wow Wow Wee (He's The Boy For Me) (The Angels cover) / Captain Scarlet / aoi Ink no Love Letter / Believe In Magic / Breakout (Swing Out Sister cover) / namida no Moonlight / SOLEIL no Theme
Encore: (Session w/ Soleil on drums) / So Much in Love (Timothy B. Schmit cover)
- I dropped by the free opening party of "Shibukaru Matsuri", an annual event organized by Parco, to see singer Manon perform accompanied by producer Yuppa (HNC) and VJ unit onnacodomo! That was a very fun show! Aside from the 4 songs already released, a new one titled "Somewhere" was also played. Yuppa played some live keyboards, and Manon also played toy piano (the intro to "Wavy Pineapple Days") and hit some sampler pads.
I was very happy to see onnacodomo at work, as I hadn't seen them in a long time. They're a very unique and creative team that uses cameras and real toys and cute objects to make live analog-style VJing. Manon's latest video "Popcorn Crisis" was directed by them, and I love it! You can watch a short live video that I shot here.
Set list: xxFANCYPOOLxx / Wavy Pineapple Days / Somewhere / Beat The Bad Luck / Popcorn Crisis
Music release news: Rie Aono, les 5-4-3-2-1, VIDEOTAPEMUSIC
This week's video: VIDEOTAPEMUSIC "Fiction Romance"
October 15, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #41 (October 7 to 13)
Food: - Sri Lankan curry at cojicoji, Mito
- Shrimp and saag paneer curries at Good Luck Curry, Shibuya
- Chocolate & coffee gelati at Gelateria e Cioccolateria Vitali, Jiyūgaoka
Music events: - On October 7, I briefly dropped by a block party event held in Jiyūgaoka. Jintana & Emeralds performed a short but sweet set! They played original favorites "Honey", "Runaway" and "Destiny", and also a cover of "There she goes" (The La's). All kinds of people gathered to enjoy beats and bites, and it felt good to hear such good music from that party echoing in the streets, even as far as the station a few blocks away. It would have been nice to spend the day there, but I had another plan shortly afterwards... (see below)
- I went to Vanilla Beans' 10th anniversary show! Congratulations!! It was held at Duo Music Exchange in Shibuya. They had made it into a seated venue, although everyone stood up and danced throughout the show. The set list was quite straightforward, pretty much all of their singles in an almost chronological order, at least in the order of labels they've been through (Tokuma Japan, T-Palette and now Avex). I've been a big fan since the very beginning so I remember all of those steps they've been through. I hope they will continue again for a long time.
Right now they've just begun a tour of all of Japan's Tower Records, doing in-store mini-live shows at each of over 70 stores in promotion of their upcoming "Vani Best II" greatest hits album to be released on December 6. The limited edition will contain some live footage from the 10th anniversary show.
Set list: Nicola / sakasaka Circus / U ♥ Me / Love & Hate / D & D / toki no kakera / Choco Mint Flavor Time / Non-Section / Muscat Slope Love / watashi... fukō guse / Please Me Darlin' / uchōten Girl / onna wa sore o gaman shinai / Night and Fly / Style and Council / Beanius / sweet life
Encore: Tokyo wa yoru no 7ji / Summer vacation
- I dropped by HMV record shop Shinjuku Alta for an in-store mini-live by Gallantique Kazue, whose recital I had once seen a long time ago (in 2009). She sang songs from her two new releases: "yoru ni okiru Patron" written by Kashif and "kagayaite Night Flight" written by Gary Ashiya (info). Nagata Kazunao accompanied as DJ, since his label ExT Recordings just released "yoru ni okiru Patron" on 7". I bought that 7" and got it autographed by Kazue. I really want to see her recital again sometime!
Set list: yoru ni okiru Patron / kagayaite Night Flight / hateshinaki yokubo / yoru ni okiru Patron (Cherryboy Function Remix)
Music release news: Gallantique Kazue, Hikashu, Aira Mitsuki
This week's videos:
Nomiya Maki "fuyu ga hajimaru yo" (Video edit ver.)
Nomiya Maki "Winter's Tale ~fuyu monogatari~" (Video edit ver.)
October 8, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #40 (September 30 to October 6)
Food: - Coffee, cheesecake & chocolate ice cream @ TiKi TaKa Ice Cream by Sarutahiko Coffee, Shinjuku
- Great steak & more at Shonzui, Roppongi
Music events: - For a short period Tokyo Midtown was host of the unique Ark Nova mobile inflatable concert hall installation, a work of architect Arata Isozaki and artist Anish Kapoor created to support recovery of the East Japan Earthquake. Read more about it here. We had the chance to watch a concert by Lucerne Festival-related musicians Reinhold Friedrich (trumpet), Takezawa Eriko (piano) and Andrea Loetscher (flute). They played a selection of pieces by Ravel, Shchedrin, Piazzolla, Falla, Moszkowski and Bizet. The beautiful music in this special place made for a very nice evening.
- On October 3rd was the 10th anniversary of Vanilla Beans' debut (single "U ♥ Me" released on October 3, 2007), and a special event was held on the roof of the Marui department store in Shibuya! They did a mini-live and also announced the release of their 2nd greatest hits album, "Vani Best II", which will include a brand new version of "Tokyo wa yoru no 7ji" produced by none other than Konishi Yasuharu! I can't wait to hear this!
I got a special 10th anniversary badge, and an autographed coaster at the cafe of the same building that was doing related promotion! :)
Set list: Tokyo wa yoru no 7ji / sakasaka Circus / U ♥ Me / Summer Vacation
Movie: Went to see "Zen and Bones", directed by Nakamura Takayuki. The documentary movie is about the life of half-Japanese half-American Buddhist priest Henry Mittwer (1918-2012), and follows him up to his very last days. Interviews with the man himself and also family members are paced with drama scenes that retell episodes of his life. The movie also focused on his obsession with making a movie about a girl with red shoes, of which a statue can be found in Yokohama, where he was born.
This movie's soundtrack is also very good, with artists including Nomiya Maki, Tablet Jun, Yokoyama Ken, Kishino You-ichi and Comoesta Yaegashi.
Music release news: "Godzilla Legend V", marino, fox capture plan, CTO LAB., tofubeats, Punpee, Stardust Brothers, Manon, Nomiya Maki, Yashiro Aki
This week's video: Manon "Popcorn Crisis"
Song produced by Yuppa (HNC) & video directed by onnacodomo!
September 30, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #39 (September 23 to 29)
Food: - Fish & chicken curries at Indo Fujiko, Kōenji
- Soft serve ice cream at Fukushimaya, Akihabara
Music events: - I went to see SOLEIL's in-store mini-live at HMV record shop Shinjuku Alta, following the release of first single "Pinky Fluffy"! Singer Soleil, bassist & producer Sally Kubota (Sally Soul Stew, Les 5-4-3-2-1, ex-Phantom Gift) and guitarist Nakamori Yasuhiro (Hicksville, Sally Soul Stew) performed on stage. The first played "Pinky Fluffy" (music by Takanami K-taro) and then "Breakout" (cover of Swing Out Sister), which was followed by an encore of "Pinky Fluffy" one more time. I bought the single there and got autographs by all three members. Yay!! :)
A release party will be held on October 15 at Shinjuku Red Cloth from 17:00. I can't wait!
- I went to "Delica Lab" at Batica in Ebisu, a regular event organized by Nakatsuka Takeshi (Qypthone). This time the other bands playing were Somethiing New (piano + trumpet duo), it's Me. (the recent unit of Ookawara Izumi and Hossy) and Small Circle of Friends! All were great! As always the event's schedule is quite busy, with 20-minute live sets on the 2nd floor in-between which there are 20-minute DJ sets on the 1st floor. Lots of good music!
On the way out I got Studio75 (aka SCOF)'s "Coffee Shop Card" CD, which comes packed in a coffee pouch. It contains 30 different beats made with 30 of their favorite coffee shops (and bars, etc.) in mind. The two, Azuma and Satsuki, were very nice to autograph it for me!
Nakatsuka Takeshi set list: niji o mita kai / Rhythm / Prism / toki no kiseki
Music release news: Pizzicato Five, kataomoi
This week's video: SOLEIL "Breakout" & "Pinky Fluffy" in-store live at HMV record shop Shinjuku Alta
September 23, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #38 (September 17 to 22)
Food: - Sanma (Pacific saury), liver & lemon, autumnal eggplant curries at Tapir, Shin-Okubo
- Victoria sponge cake at Kies, Nishi-Ogikubo
- Curry doria and salt-grilled tuna at Kitchen Ohnami, Kichijōji
- Mac'n'cheese at Good Meals Shop, Shibuya
Music release news: The Lady Spade, "Zen and Bones" Original Soundtrack, Meet The Hopes, Kaede (Negicco), Boomdigi, Cornelius, "Sweets Wonderland"
This week's video: Aira Mitsuki "Future in Loop"
September 17, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #37 (September 9 to 15)
Food: - Meatballs at World Meatball Classic, Shinjuku-gyoenmae
- Chocolate & salt milk ice cream at Tomihisa Ice Cream, Shinjuku
- Coffee and happy cat time at Café Arles, Shinjuku
Music events: - Last weekend was a special edition of party "Cult Club". It was held in the afternoon at Shimokitazawa Cage, part of an Asobisystem-related event. There was a special appearance by Fukuoka model Manon who recently started a singing career, with cool tracks produced by HNC. Her first 7" single "xxFANCYPOOLxx" had just been released. Manon sang all of her three songs ("xxFANCYPOOLxx", "Beat the Bad Luck" and "Wavy Pineapple Days"), giving a fun performance as she danced and posed for the many cameras, while HNC played some live keys! I also got to see rap units Yomeiri Land and Dreamcast, and also DJ sets by HNC and Threepee Boys.
- I dropped by an event at Journal Standard Shibuya that featured Nomiya Maki! Accompanied by DJ Tomizawa Noboru, also her long-time make-up artist, she sang "Tokyo wa yoru no 7ji", "Shibuya de 5ji", "Un homme et une femme" and "Sweet Soul Revue"! That was a short & sweet set in a beautiful decor! I also caught the end of a performance by Saitō Neko & Venus Kawamura Yuki.
Music release news: De De Mouse, "Ace 2" & "Ace ep" (J-Pop compilations by Konishi Yasuharu)
September 10, 2017
Weekly revue: 2017 week #36 (September 2 to 8)
Food: - "Canadian size" poutine at Robson Fries, Shimokitazawa
- Horse meat & more at Ōhashi-shōten no tonari shokudō, Daitabashi. Great food and BGM!
Music event: I went to the release party live show for Wakita Monari's album "I am ONLY"! It was held at clubasia in Shibuya, and the place was packed! Monari was backed by a full band (guitar, bass, keyboards and drums) for the first time in her solo career, and together they performed all of the songs from the album, no exception! I've been enjoying the album a lot, and this made me realize even more how all the songs are so good. As always Monari's singing was amazing! There was also an acoustic part where Hase Yasuhiro (Yume To Cosme) accompanied on piano for three covers.
Set list: Cloudless Night / Irony / Est! Est!! Est!!! / Nakimushi Revolution / inori no kotoba / Tonight, the Night (Bonnie Pink cover) / Circus Night (Nanao Tavito cover) / Joy (Yuki cover) / I'm with you / Dippin' / anone,,, / akai Skirt / yoake no View / Boy Friend
Encore: In the City
The release of her next single was also announced, "Wingscape" produced by Count Joke, out on November 22! And another show with the same band will be held on December 15 at Roppongi Varit. These flowers were sent by Mori Erika (ex-Especia).
Music release news: Cutemen, Lucky Tapes, TRI4TH, Kaseki Cider & The Natsuyasumi Band, Ōzawa Kenji to Sekai No Owari, neco nemuru
This week's video: YMCK "Come on! Swing all stars" live performance from their show last February
Continue reading in the September 2017 Archives.
Next entry: "Weekly revue: 2017 week #35 (August 26 to September 1)" (September 3, 2017 at 02:02)
2017: November October September August July June May April March February January
2016: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2015: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2014: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2013: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2012: December November October September August July June May April March February
2011: November October May April March
2010: August May April March February January
2009: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2008: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2007: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2006: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2005: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2004: December November October September August July June May April March February January
2003: December November October September August July